- Parasympatholytic (inhibits stimulation from the parasympathetic nervous system).
- Vagolytic (inhibits stimulation from the vagus nerve).
- Inhibits vagal stimulation - allowing the sympathetic nervous system to dominate
- By allowing the sympathetic nervous system to dominate, impulse generation at the SA node and conduction through the AV node should increase.
- Onset - Bronchodilation 1 to 3 min
- Peak - 1.5 to 2 hours
- Duration - ? to 4 hours
- Severe bronchospasm in asthma.
- Severe bronchospasm in COPD.
- Hypersensitivity to anticholinergics
- Bronchospasm: Rarely, paradoxical bronchospasm may occur with use of inhaled bronchodilating agents; this should be distinguished from inadequate response.
- Hypersensitivity reactions: Immediate hypersensitivity reactions (urticaria, angioedema, rash, bronchospasm) have been reported.
Drug to Drug
- Anticholinergics: Concurrent use with ipratropium may increase risk of adverse events.
Ensure nebulizer is misting properly during administration of drug.