D50W (Dextrose 50% in Water)
- Immediate source of glucose and H2O for nutrient deprived cells.
- Transient osmotic diuretic
- Onset - immediate
- Peak - immediate
- Half-life - unknown
- Duration - unknown
- Suspected or known hypoglycaemia.
- Altered level of responsiveness NYD.
- Coma or seizure NYD.
- Extravasation causes tissue necrosis.
- Consider consultation with clinical support before administration if cerebral bleed is suspected.
- 25 g (50 ml of 50% sol.) prn
- See BCEHS Pediatric Dosage (BCEHS Peds Dosages) recommendations for age and weight-appropriate dosing information.
Hyperglycaemia is associated with poor neurologic outcomes in survivors of cardiac arrest. Confirm capillary blood glucose is less than 4 mmol prior to administration of D50W.